Garmin Basecamp is an easy-to-use application for importing purchased maps or transfer mapping data onto your Garmin device. With Basecamp, you can plan your trip in advance by entering routes, tracks, and waypoints. Furthermore, you can purchase a Garmin BirdsEye subscription, download the high-resolution satellite imagery or detailed raster maps through Basecamp and then transfer on your compatible Garmin device. To use the Garmin Basecamp software for viewing or transferring of maps, you first have to download it on your device. In this comprehensive guide, you will get a step-by-step procedure to install Basecamp on your system.
Setup Garmin Basecamp Application on Your PC via garmin.com
- Choose a browser that you generally use to launch a web page and open it. Type garmin.com in the address bar and press the Enter key to access the Garmin homepage.
- At the top-panel of the homepage, will see a range of options. Put your cursor over the “Discover” option. Then, select Basecamp and you will get to see a new window from where you can download the software.
- Scroll down the window and go to the section of “Learn More About Basecamp”. There you will see a “Download Now” button below the sections of Windows and Mac. Click on it and another window of Updates & Downloads will appear on your screen.
- Click “Download” right away and the processing will begin immediately. You will see a progress bar showing the download status on the bottom-left corner of your screen. When you observe that the download is 100% completed, double-click the file.
- You may see a User Account Control pop-up box, click Yes for granting necessary permissions. Then, the Software Installer dialog box will be shown on your screen, click Next.
- Moving on from that, thoroughly read all the statements given in the License Agreement. If you comply with all the terms and conditions, select the given checkbox, and click continue.
- Another dialog box will be visible on your screen, change the default Install location if you want to do so, and then click Install. This will start installing the Garmin Basecamp software. Patiently wait for its completion. Once done, restart your PC.
Explore More About Garmin Basecamp and Its Functions
- View Preloaded Map Data Within Garmin Basecamp: You can view preloaded maps of your Garmin device in Basecamp. For that, follow the below-mentioned steps.
- First of all, link your Garmin navigation device or the memory card to the computer that has basecamp installed. In case, you are connecting a Garmin Mode Outdoor device, turn on your device, and select Menu > Setup > Interface > USB Mass Storage. Then, connect your device to the computer.
- Now, launch the Basecamp application and click on the “Maps” icon given at the top panel of the app home screen.
- You will see different sections like Library, Devices, etc. It may be possible that some maps may take time to load on Garmin Basecamp.
- Once the loading is completed, select a map from the list available. Doing so, the map will immediately be visible on your screen and you can view it clearly.
- Backing Up the Data From the Garmin Navigation Device:
- Connect your Garmin device to the computer by attaching a USB cord to the ports of both the devices.
- Once your Garmin device screen shows the Connected status, open the Basecamp software on your PC.
- In the left panel, go to the Devices section. Then, you have to right-click on the “Internal Storage” folder, and following this, select “Copy”. Doing so, all the data present on your Garmin Navigation device will be copied.
- Now, place your cursor over the “My Collection” option and then right-click on it. You will get a “Paste” option, select it and this will start transferring all the existing files of your Garmin device.
- Afterwards, right-click on the Internal Storage folder given underneath the Devices section and select “Eject”. In this manner, you can save all the information and data of your Garmin device to Basecamp.
- Download BirdsEye Imagery Through Garmin Basecamp: Once you have purchased a BirdsEye subscription, you can download the maps with BirdsEye Imagery on your Garmin device through Basecamp.
- In the very first place, access the Basecamp application and connect your computer to the Garmin device with the help of a USB cable.
- Now, zoom into the map area that you wish to use with BirdsEye. Then, you have to select the “BirdsEye” option from the top panel of the main window. Following this, select “Download BirdsEye Imagery” from the options displayed.
- Doing so, you will see a dialog box on your screen. Click on the Available Devices drop-down arrow key and select a device that you would like to use. Then, click Next.
- A new dialog box will come into view where you see your subscription status i.e Active. It is to be noted that if your subscription is not active, you will not be allowed to download the maps. Then, select a Product and click Continue.
- In the next window, you will be able to adjust the map by using tools like Hand Tool, Magnifying Glass, resizing tool, pencil tool, etc. Following this, select the location where you want to download the map and the “Detail Level” i.e High, Standard, or highest.
- Finally, click Download. With this, the BirdsEye Imagery download will get started and you have to wait for its completion. Also, tick mark the checkbox given next to “Copy Imagery to device after download”.
- Once the download is over, click Finish. The BirdsEye Imagery will now appear on your device Internal Storage folder. Now, right-click on “Internal Storage” and click Eject.